Listen To The Little Voice

Several months ago, I did something I had never done before.

It was a sad Friday.  The family dog, Killer, had died the night before after being a part of the family for more than ten years and I was fairly certain I had a difficult decision to make in the relationship department.  Since it was my day off and I didn’t really feel like staying home to wallow, I packed up some tissues and headed to California’s Shangri-La otherwise known as Ojai.

You might recognize the name of the town as the setting for the Emma Stone comedy Easy A.  Yes, it’s a real place and I hadn’t been there since high school.  It’s a quaint little town with locally run shops and few chain stores.  With my bloodshot eyes carefully hidden behind sunglasses, I wandered the main drag, popping into stores that had artisan crafts and produce picked from nearby farms.

One place I wanted to check out was the Ojai House which I had read about online.  I found it down a side street and was attracted to the eclectic vibe and bright colors that decorated the exterior.  It was truly one of those we-have-everything places that sold unique items from pot holders to healing crystals.

As I paid for some books (one of which I gave away in the last Wonderland Giveaway) and chatted up the proprietor, I noticed a sign for tarot card readings.  I inquired about the readings and was told that the medium, a lovely woman named Kate, was fabulous and truly gifted when it came to channeling spirit guides.  Though not quite sure I believed in the idea, I was curious to see what this total stranger would have to say.  I’d heard that some people had very good experiences with tarot readings in the past so I figured I’d give it a shot.

In a cozy, little room where we bonded over a shared love of sparkly flip-flops, Kate began my reading asking only for my full name and astrological sign.  I had seen enough television exposés about frauds pretending to be psychics so I knew I needed to refrain from volunteering too much information and to keep my face as neutral as possible.

I was blown away by what she told me.

Kate vocalized feelings that I hadn’t shared with anyone as if she could read my mind.  She somehow “got me” and I couldn’t have been more grateful.  Though I was hoping to hear that Killer was at peace, she never mentioned him, but I can say that some of the things she predicted would come true have and I find it amazing.  Of all the things she said to me (which I wrote down as soon as I could find a pen and paper), one stayed with me.

She told me to listen to the little voice inside my head.

Now, before you start thinking that I have voices running nonstop in my brain, let me assure you, I am not schizophrenic and that was definitely not what she meant.

386_10102287224834903_371116398_n

The only picture I took from my trip to Ojai. It reminds me of so much from that day.

Kate explained that I was a very intuitive person which, I completely understood though I’d never put a name on it.  You see, there have been times in my life when I have just known something.  When I found out my ex had cheated on me, the name of the girl flashed in my head seconds before I heard it.  I have also had dreams that have come true, leading me to call anyone in the event a dream involves someone’s death.  Though these situations don’t happen with a frequency that would warrant a reality show, they have happened too often to ignore.  So when Kate told me these moments (which I did not share with her) were my spirit guides attempting to give me a message, I chose to listen.

Call it was you will, intuition, psychic ability, gut instinct, or spirit guides, everyone is capable of receiving these messages.  The difficult part is learning to accept and listen to them.

How many times have you felt that something just wasn’t right, but you chose to ignore it only to be confronted with the reality that you inherently knew all along?  It’s happened to me more than once and after my reading with Kate, I have learned not to ignore these feelings.  Sure, I try to give people the benefit of the doubt or see a situation through even if something feels amiss, but I am much more willing to correct the situation sooner rather than later.  I don’t know if it’s my spirit guides or the wisdom that comes with experience, but I find that trusting my instincts has yet to steer me in the wrong direction.

And for that I thank the little voice that finally made me listen.

29 thoughts on “Listen To The Little Voice

1. Karin says:

It can be difficult to listen to and trust that inner voice, but it is a blessing when we follow the guidance we are given. I, too, have had a few experiences with dreams and intuition. 🙂 I loved reading your experience and seeing the gorgeous flower. Sending love & light!

2. hunting for bliss says:

Thanks for sharing this story Jess! I haven’t had a reading done but I certainly believe in the possibility that it works! I definite believe that we have angels or spiritual guides and I have experienced them for sure. As far as dreams go….the one that stands out the most is one of Sake. Over the 8 years of his life I dreamt that he would be hit by a car, which was awful and I tried to ignore it. I had the last dream within a month or two of his death. Not to be a downer, but I wish I’d listened to my intuition and had him on a leash. I think dreams can be messages–maybe not that something bad is really going to happen, but maybe we need to call that person for another reason…to forgive or let them know they are loved. Anyways, just thought I’d share 🙂 xoxo

• Jessica | Defining Wonderland says:

Oh, Tobi. I wish I could take the pain of losing Sake away, but you shouldn’t blame yourself. Accidents happen. He had a great life and though it may have been cut short, he knew how much you loved him. Sometimes, we can’t see the intuitive message until we’ve already learned the lesson. I wish you peace and happy dreams of your beloved little pooch. xoxo

3. Caitlin | The Siren's Tale says:

I can relate so much to this post, more than I even want to say! It’s difficult to accept when this happens to a person, but we all have intuition inside of us – it just depends how much we “tap” into it. Listening to that little voice will never steer you wrong 🙂

4. jansenschmidt says:

What an fun and interesting experience. I once had a friend do a tarot card reading for me. I was a skeptic, sort of, and didn’t really pay much attention to what my cards were or meant, except one thing that stuck with me – on an upcoming trip that I was taking solo, there would be a man. That’s it – a man. No explanation.

I scurried off on my adventure, totally forgetting about the reading, and lo and behold, I met a man who was interested in me and invited me to visit him again – on his dime. I did and we hit it off, but not in a romantic way, in a deep-level friendship way. We’ve since lost touch, but that was so weird. I’ll never forget that.

Sorry about your baby, Killer. Losing a four-legged loved one is soooo hard. I have an aging lab who’s not going to be around too much longer and I treasure every day he’s with me.

Patricia Rickrode
    w/a Jansen Schmidt

• Jessica | Defining Wonderland says:

Thanks, Patricia. Killer’s death hit me much harder than I ever thought possible. It was a devastating loss to the family and we were all pretty upset for a while.

Tarot is fascinating! I love to hear other people’s experiences with it. Sounds like yours was rather interesting too. Thanks for sharing!

• Jessica | Defining Wonderland says:

I found a great quote by Rachel Wolchin yesterday that said, “Never apologize for trusting your intuition – your brain can play tricks, your heart can blind, but your gut is always right.” To that I would say, keep listening to your inner voice, but don’t ignore what your heart and brain are telling you. Have a wonderful weekend, Renee!

5. dmswriter says:

Hi Jessica – Susie sent me over. All I can do is nod in agreement! We have those little voices in our head for a reason. So far, mine have never steered me wrong, for which I’m thankful. It’s the times that I ignored them that got me in trouble.

6. susielindau says:

My novel is based on this. I believe in all things intuitive and had a reading done once too. It was unnerving and exhilarating. I did have a waking dream that one of my friend’s died of a heart attack, but she’s still alive and well. I’m so glad I never said anything. She would freak anyway and I would cause it!!! I’ve had others that did come true.
    Thanks for bringing this to the party. Have fun clicking on other links and saying hello! Tell them “Susie sent me,” and they should click back here!

• Jessica | Defining Wonderland says:

That sounds like a novel I would be very interested in reading. 🙂 I’m so glad your friend was ok. It can be a bit unnerving when you have a dream like that. I once had a dream that my mother died in the bathtub and for months, she was terrified to take a relaxing soak after work. Thanks for stopping by and hosting another amazing shindig, Susie!

• susielindau says:

Thanks for coming Jessica! Glad all of your dreams don’t come true!
        My book is in the editing phase. It’s so hard to decide which advice to take!

7. barbtaub says:

Wow, terrific post! I came over from Susie’s party in time to raise a glass to the memory of your wonderful pup and to you for putting trust in your intuition. Not everyone has the gift of being able to hear that little voice.

8. markbialczak says:

I dropped in via Susie, and I’m glad I followed my instincts and clicked on your link at her place, Jessica. Sorry about your loss of Killer. Pets are part of the family. This New Yorkers impression of Ojai comes from watching the former Sally Fields ABC drama “Sons and Daughters.” It looked lovely there; I hope it really was shot on location. I think you are right to listen to the wise card reader and the little voice in your head.

• Jessica | Defining Wonderland says:

Thank you, Mark. Killer was a great pooch.. Horrible puppy (many household items were stolen and “relocated” to digging spots in the backyard), but a wonderful dog. I loved that show! Brothers & Sisters showed a lot of Ojai’s scenery, but most of the show was filmed in L.A. If you ever make it to California, be sure to check it out. 🙂

• markbialczak says:

Our dear dog Ellie B loves to bury anything she can whisk away on the sly in our backyard, too, Jessica. I am fearful of a turned ankle every time I mow back there. But, like Killer, a wonderful dog she is.

9. 4amWriter says:

Susie sent me. I love this post. I totally know what you mean about ‘the little voice in your head.’ I have that voice, and I always regret not listening to it. From the smallest things, like I should move that mug away from the edge of the counter or else it’s going to get knocked to the floor, but I don’t bother — and then moments later, it gets knocked to the floor. To big things, like when my dog was limping and I told myself I needed to get him to a vet, but I was already swamped with skeighty-eight other tasks and put off the vet — he ended up being really sick and we had to put him down. (I don’t know if getting him to the vet sooner would have saved him, but it’s that instinctive feeling that I ignored that bugs me the most.)

In the past couple of years, I have tried to tune into myself and pay closer attention. I have to slow down, that’s part of the problem. I’m a working mom, struggling to get published, and there just isn’t enough time in the day to focus on that voice. I must do better.

Your trip into Ojai sounds lovely and obviously, it was exactly what you needed. I’m glad you were able to find some positive, helpful guidance.

• Jessica | Defining Wonderland says:

I’m the same way… when I have ignored that voice, I always regret it. I’m so sorry to hear about your dog! 😦 Losing a pet is never easy and you shouldn’t blame yourself for his passing. Some times, life just gets in the way and we focus on other things that overpower the little voice.

It’s hard to listen when life gets crazy, but even the smallest amount of time to sit and reflect can help you hear that little voice. Best of luck to you!