The Increasing Appeal Of Domesticity

The Ultimate Career

In college, I once took a class all about the 1950’s.  It was a fascinating time in America.  Communism was the “C” word and we faced increasing tensions with Russia and Korea.  Many people associate this decade with such things as the birth of rock and roll and the Golden Age of television.  Others with a sexualization we were just beginning to uncover with the advent of Playboy Magazine and the most famous blonde to ever grace the Silver Screen: Marilyn Monroe.

For me, I associate this time with a different type of woman: the homemaker.

TV Housewives

Lucy Ricardo, Donna Reed, June Cleaver… these are the women that kept their husbands and children in line while cooking each meal, cleaning house, and looking quite fabulous in those outfits.  Don’t forget the pearls!

I wrote a whole paper on this “desperate” housewife.  I critiqued the sadder side of the women who relied on anti-depressants to get them through their chores, often staying in unhappy marriages because they had no means to make a living on their own.  Looking back, I felt quite sorry for these women.  How could anyone in their right mind and given all these wonderful opportunities that I’ve taken for granted choose this lifestyle of serving others?

There was a girl in my dormitory that was only in college for her M.R.S. degree, determined to be a stay-at-home mom after getting married.  When I questioned her choice of going to the number one public university in the world—not to mention the price that went along with it—when the only career she wanted was being a wife and mother, she replied, “I deserve a good education so that one day I can educate my children and help them with their homework.”  At the time, I thought it was a such a waste that she would go through four years of tough academia and then do nothing with her education except be a homemaker.  I have to admit, I was pretty judgmental about people’s life choices back then.

With younger celebrities like Blake Lively and Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting talking about how much they adore cooking for their husbands and websites like Pinterest inspiring everyone with party decorations and fancy feasts, the domestic life is not just for ladies who lunch and is gaining in popularity for a whole new generation.

I, for one, am completely on board.

My tune has changed and I think being a domestic diva would be amazing.  Cooking meals, planning events, writing, volunteering more, running errands when places are actually open for business… it all seems like a dream to me (except for the cleaning—no thanks) and I wonder why I ever scoffed at the idea in the first place.  I’ve come to realize that this is the type of lifestyle I would love to have and I’m sorry to those that I did judge.

I’ve finally put together my recipe collection (something that took weeks longer than I was expecting) and it really got me thinking.

From a messy collection to a neatly organized binder.

I even made a template and typed each recipe up. It was a long process, but now every page has the same look.

I love to cook and find new recipes to try, but after a 9-hour day at the office, I’m usually not in the mood to make a fancy meal.  Plus since it’s just me and the kitties, I don’t see the need to treat myself to a different dinner every night of the week.  A big batch of something simple one night can lead to many more nights of dinner.  So what if it’s the same thing each meal.  If I had the resources and the partner (because let’s be real, most homes with a homemaker aren’t made of a single woman), I think I would make an excellent stay-at-home domestic goddess.

It’s too bad I can’t send the cats to work.

12 thoughts on “The Increasing Appeal Of Domesticity

1. The JellyFish says:

Lol! I never imagined myself giving up my career to raise babies and cook meals from scratch but apparently that’s what I’m doing now and am surprisingly happy with this life. I think the important thing is having the choice. If this is what you choose, than you’re happy. If it’s what you HAVE to do and have no choice in the matter, than you’re bound to have a bad time of it.

2. The Regular Guy NYC says:

I’m one of those guys who can actually cook, and enjoy doing it. Yet, as with you after a 9-12 hour work day who has time for that?

Also, I’m sure one day you’ll have that special someone there to cook for and share those killer meals with!

• Jessica | Defining Wonderland says:

You find all the best restaurants in NYC AND you can cook?!?! Well, knock me over with a feather, Phil! Until that special someone comes along, the cats are more than happy to share all the homemade ice cream I’ve been making. 🙂

3. hunting for bliss says:

I’ve just started my career as a homemaker. It’s a little foreign to me and I haven’t really had time or energy to be a diva yet! Maybe someday. I’m with you, I used to judge but now I couldn’t imagine things being any different.

4. jansenschmidt says:

I wish I could be a domestic diva and not have to have an outside the home job. But alas, in today’s economy, I cannot afford that. We need both incomes in my household, and in fact, I am the higher wage earner so . . . I am a part-time domestic diva in addition to my “outside the home” job. That sucks.

I enjoy cooking and entertaining and wearing pearls but it doesn’t pay the bills.

I’m glad you’re getting in touch with your domestic side. It’s kind of fun really.

And THANK YOU for the lovely birthday card. It was a wonderful surprise in my mailbox.

Have a great week Jessica!

Patricia Rickrode
    w/a Jansen Schmidt

• Jessica | Defining Wonderland says:

If only we could make money for wearing pearls and entertaining the masses! Cooking and putting together festivities is more fun than people think. Now, I’ve volunteered to help a friend with her wedding and I couldn’t be more happy to help make her day one to remember. Maybe I missed my calling as a party planner… Happy hump day, Patricia!

5. asherswest says:

It’s funny that i really never thought wanted the life of a stay at home mom waiting hand and foot on my family. Here i am! I love it! I wouldn’t have it another way! Follow my blog as well! Great story!

• Jessica | Defining Wonderland says:

I’m so glad you’ve found your calling, Ashley! It must be such a rewarding career to be with your little man. I’d imagine that every mother wrestles with the whole returning to work dilemma, but I’m happy that you found the choice that works for you and your family. Thanks for stopping by!